We are a group of motivated scientists, educators and designers who want to improve interdisciplinary research at Karolinska Institutet.
We believe this is extremely important to further develop Karolinska position as a cutting edge Medical University. We are aware that the most successful scientific outcomes comes from research that involves more then one field: physics and medicine, biology and mathematics, nursing and proteomics, molecular biology and engineering.
Interdisciplinary research has higher chance to be funded: both US (with CTREATIV) and the European Union (with Horizon 2020) are encouraging interdisciplinary, highly-risk and innovative research. Additionally, such approach is more suitable to tackle the upcoming questions of the century, where single-field innovation in no longer an option.
If interdisciplinary research is so important, why don’t we do it more?
To improve the chance of interdisciplinary opportunities among scientists, we want to:
- Create fiscal and web-based spaces where researchers from different areas can meet and exchange ideas
- Improve the communication between experts from different fields
- Enable PhD students to get in touch with all the reality of the medical profession: meeting nurses, physicians from different units, hospital administrators and pre-clinical researchers.
- Stimulates grants for creative and interdisciplinary research
- Create interest from Karolinska Institutet educators about this projects and involve other realities, like Stockholm University and KTH.